Heike Kemmer and Mary Ann Simonds
Equine Sports Coaching and Equestrian Psychology
Equestrian psychology involves more than just sports coaching. It encompasses the fields of horse and human psychology and the various interactions and connections they share. From equine-assisted therapy to performance coaching, equestrian psychology has emerged as a new field in psychology. Fostering an understanding of both equine and human behavior as well as the dynamics of the partnership, equestrian psychology explores the relationships between horse and human and the various reason they come together.
Many good trainers naturally have coaching skills and hence have been using these skills in their training of horses and people. Psychologists are entering the field from the sports and performance side seeing the benefit of how horses help people.
Because the field of human-horse interaction has been the domain of horse trainers and instructors or just general “common knowledge”, there are little or no regulations or standards for programs.
This has created a variety of names within the same field as individuals seek new ways to describe their own programs as unique. This has also lead to the development of a variety of associations as communities start to form around a common or shared vision.
Please contact me if you are interested in the filed of Equestrian Psychology and Coaching or if you are interested in sponsoring a coaching clinic/talk or having a series of coaching sessions.
The following outlines some of the various named programs emerging in the field of equestrian psychology:
- Horse-Human Relationships
- Equine Assisted Therapy
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Equine Assisted Growth & Learning Association (www.eagala.org)
- Equine Assisted Leadership
- Equine Assisted Learning
- Association Equine Assisted Learning & Accredited Qualifications (www.equineassistedqualifications.com)
- Equine Facilitated Learning
- Equine Facilitated Leadership
- Equine Facilitated Coaching
- Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy
- Equine Guided Leadership
- Equine Guided Learning
- Equine Guided Education
- Equine Guided Education Association ( www.equineguidededucation.org)
- Equine Inspired Activitites
- Equine Inspired Coaching
- Horse-Human Interactions
- Trans-Species Communication & Learning
- Sports and Performance Psychology
- Equine Sports Coaching
- Equine Sports Science
- Equestrian Coaching
- Equestrian Performance Coaching
More Information and Directory Coming Soon